Return of Family Hikes - Mount Whitney Trail Lone Pine Lake

We haven't taken the boys on long hikes in a long time.  Maybe over two years!  I used to take them on long hikes weekly and short ones in between before or after work.  Ever since we have gotten so busy with work and all my pains in my body that prevent me from doing any kind of workout, it kind of fell through the cracks.

We have been making a point to do day tips and road trips whenever we can in the last year and we decided to do a hike yesterday.  I love it so much and have always wanted my boys to grow up being explorers and appreciate nature and what it has to offer.  We wanted to get to Lone Pine Lake at Mount Whitney.  We knew it would be tiring from the review but we had no idea how tough it would be.

We definitely were not prepared for the distance, endurance and snow of this hike.  We got there and the road was closed for the winter.  We drove a little past the sign to the closest gate we could get to where other cars were parked.  From there, it was a good 2 mile hike just to get to the start of the trail.  All uphill!  Then we got to the starting point and it was uphill the entire way.  We encountered snow at the beginning and then it disappeared for 1/3 of the way up.  After that, we had more snow until the top.  The snow was deeper and deeper and we were all exhausted.  We had no snow shoes and no trekking poles making it even more difficult.  Especially for an 8 and 11 year old LOL.  There were so many stops and for my body, I wanted to badly to make it to the top to the lake but it was failing me.  The pain in my feet and hips and lower back were winning and I was almost in tears.  I am so frustrated with the constant pain that has plagued me with no answers to how to fix them.  I tend to try to push through it if I really want something but this was beyond painful.  I knew if I didn't stop, I may not be able to walk down back to the car.  I stopped and waited with the boys while Mathew went up another 30 minutes to check to see if he could see the lake but he said it would probably be another 30-45 minutes from where he was so he came back down to meet us at our waiting spot.  The snow was thick and we were freezing cold.  The sun was diappearing behind the mountain and we knew it was time to head back as it had already been over 3.5 hours up and would be about the same going back.  We didn't want to be stuck out there in the dark.







By the time we were heading back down, it was slippery and scary and Rocket decided he had to poop.  Oh that was so much fun while he nearly pooped his pants and had to be butt naked while cleaning up in the snow!  HAHAH. Those are stories we have to tell when he gets older hahahah.  We slipped and fell many times on the way down and we were so glad we made it back safely.  It was cold and exhausting and the pain coming down was worse than going up and by the time we got to the car all I could do was tear up at frustration of my body.  The shattering pain that comes in my feet and hips and lower back screaming keeps winning and it makes me so upset that I cannot do what I would like to but I will figure it out..



We all agreed that we would prepare better and knew the things we needed for the next REDO when we come back to tackle the lake.  Cannot wait for the next time!!!  It was absolutely gorgeous all the way up and could only imagine what the lake would be like.  The best part was driving back down and seeing two little Inyo Mule Deers hopping around in front of us.  That made my frustration pass and all I could do was smile =)


Popular Posts